Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Tonight for his "bed night story" Little Brother chose his favorite library book, about a robot who builds a dog out of shapes.

He told me that this was his almost favorite book, and that he can't find his favorite one--The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I looked on his bookshelf and found it for him. I left his lamp on so he could look at the book before going to sleep.

He decided to "read" it to himself. He did pretty well up until the end, where "the caterpillar made a raccoon for his self and turned into a butterfly!"

Pretty soon he will be a schoolboy learning all about what caterpillars do and how they turn into butterflies, and that raccoons have nothing to do with it. Today, I'm going to let it go.

TheDad finds the big "rites of childhood passage" hard to take: first days of school, graduations, things like that. For me, it's the smaller things, like the day when Middle Sister stopped saying "wotel" instead of "motel" or the day Big Brother learned to correctly pronounce "ambulance." I enjoy the big days and am proud of my children's accomplishments. It's the little moments where they show how grown-up they're getting--those are the ones that get me.

No comments: